[Exim] init.d/sendmail issue

Author: steven
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] init.d/sendmail issue
There is a problem when trying to swap out sendmail for Exim on Redhat
9 - the init.d controls a process sm-client which did not exist until
recently. Google does not return meaningful results for the problem.

If you swap sendmail out you get the following message if you
install Exim using the "alternatives" utility or use the methods that
worked on earlier versions of Redhat.

]# service sendmail start
Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or incomplete option -L
                                                           [FAILED]

Can someone confirm a tried and true fix for this please - I assume I
can swap in an earlier init.d script but wanted to check what others
had done. Is there a standard init.d script for Exim? I did not find
one.

Thanks,
Steven