Re: [Exim] init.d/sendmail issue

Author: Dan Egli
To: steven
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] init.d/sendmail issue
steven@??? wrote:

>There is a problem when trying to swap out sendmail for Exim on Redhat
>9 - the init.d controls a process sm-client which did not exist until
>recently. Google does not return meaningful results for the problem.
>
>If you swap sendmail out you get the following message if you
>install Exim using the "alternatives" utility or use the methods that
>worked on earlier versions of Redhat.
>
>]# service sendmail start
>Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
>Starting sm-client: exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or incomplete option -L
>                                                           [FAILED]

>Can someone confirm a tried and true fix for this please - I assume I
>can swap in an earlier init.d script but wanted to check what others
>had done. Is there a standard init.d script for Exim? I did not find
>one.
>
>Thanks,
>Steven
>

>--

below find the Exim init.d script encased in the Fedora Core RPMS:

#!/bin/bash
#
# exim    This shell script takes care of starting and stopping exim
#
# chkconfig: 2345 80 30
#              that moves mail from one machine to another.
# processname: exim
# config: /etc/exim/exim.conf
# pidfile: /var/run/exim.pid

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration.
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Source exim configureation.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/exim ] ; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/exim
else
        DAEMON=yes
        QUEUE=1h
fi

# Check that networking is up.
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

[ -f /usr/sbin/exim ] || exit 0

start() {
        # check ownerships
        # do this by seeing if /var/log/exim/main.log exists and is
        # owned by exim - if owned by someone else we fix it up
        if [ -f /var/log/exim/main.log ]
        then
            if [ "exim" != "`ls -l /var/log/exim/main.log | awk '{print
$4}'`" ]
            then
                chown -R exim:exim /var/log/exim /var/spool/exim
            fi
        fi
        # Start daemons.
        echo -n $"Starting exim: "
        daemon /usr/sbin/exim $([ "$DAEMON" = yes ] && echo -bd) \
                              $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE)
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/exim
}

stop() {
        # Stop daemons.
        echo -n $"Shutting down exim: "
        killproc exim
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/exim
}

restart() {
        stop
        start
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  restart)
        restart
        ;;
  condrestart)
        [ -f /var/lock/subsys/exim ] && restart || :
        ;;
  status)
        status exim
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status|condrestart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL