[Exim] Exim installation issue on Redhat

Author: Steven Ericsson-Zenith
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim installation issue on Redhat
There is a problem when trying to swap out sendmail for Exim on
Redhat 9 - the init.d/sendmail script controls a process sm-client
which did not exist until recently. Google does not return
meaningful results for the problem.

As a result of this you will get the following message if you
install Exim using the "alternatives" utility or use the methods that
worked on earlier versions of Redhat.

> # service sendmail start

Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client: exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or incomplete option -L
                                                           [FAILED]

Can someone confirm a tried and true fix for this please - I assume I
can swap in an earlier init.d script but wanted to check what others
had done. Is there a standard init.d script for Exim? I could not find
one.

Thanks,
Steven