RE: [Exim] callout issue.. (people blocking <>)

Author: Ian A B Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] callout issue.. (people blocking <>)
--On Monday, May 10, 2004 5:11 pm +0100 Simon Beale
<simon.beale@???> wrote:

>> Server X1 helo blah.com 250 hello imail03.nt.aitcom.net mail from:<>
>> 501 bogus mail from
>>

>> *sigh*..
>>
>> So how do I deal with this..
>
> Depends - if you reckon you can get the offenders to change their mail
> server behaviour, it's worth pointing out the fact that they're breaking
> the RFCs. However, in the case where, like us, you're a minnow, and
> they're a Big Company That Knows Best (e.g. att.com, wmg.com) and you
> just *know* you won't be able to get them to change, then you'll probably
> have to allow the offending domains to bypass your callout acl:

But that raises a few questions.

1. Are we, collectively a minnow? Who else out there uses sender
verification callbacks? We do, with 20,000 users.

2. Is it att.com that you want to convince to change their policy? Or is it
your correspondent? If the latter, you could ask your correspondent to
switch to a provider that offers an proper internet mail service, with
features like:
    1. Accepting vacation messages,
    2. Accepting bounce messages,
    3. Accepting receipt verification messages.

When your correspondents realise they have no way of knowing whether a
message was delivered, they'll think about switching their mail provider.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team