Re: [Exim] callout issue.. (people blocking <>)

Author: Ian A B Eiloart
To: Brian, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] callout issue.. (people blocking <>)

--On Monday, May 10, 2004 11:52 am -0400 Brian <bcook-exim@???>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> How do I deal with these lovely people?
>
> 2004-05-10 08:31:17 H=carmine.bestweb.net [209.94.102.73] sender verify
> fail for <mmackey@???>: response to "MAIL FROM:<>" from
> mail.ccsnys.org [208.234.30.80] was: 501 bogus mail from

Make sure that the mail that you rejected was legitimate - came from their
server. If it did, then copy all your correspondence with their postmaster
to the sender and intended recipient.

I use this text as my first report, feel free to use it. I'd love to be
able to add some examples or counts of institutions that use sender verify.:

We rejected a message, apparently from your server, yesterday because we
were unable to verify an email address from the server.

We use a sender verification callback to help us identify forged email
addresses. For this to work, your mailer MUST be configured to accept email
from the NULL sender.

This is also a requirement of the SMTP RFCs, as explained here:
<http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-dsn.php>

Furthermore, your while your mailer remains misconfigured, your users can't:
    - get undelivered message bounces,
    - get automatic vacation messages,
    - get receipt verification messages.
All of these should be sent with a null return path to prevent
establishment of mail loops.

And, they can't send mail to:
    - ??????????????????? email addresses,
    - domains that do sender verification callbacks (an increasing number,
        since it is a very good way of rejecting spam),
    - domains that subscribe to the blacklist at the rfc-ignorant site.

You can, of course, reach me at postmaster@??????????, since the RFC's
forbid us from rejecting any mail addressed there.