Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.33-20

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.33-20
On Wed, 5 May 2004, Michael Haardt wrote:

> The verification type is a positional argument, tagged arguments
> are defer_ok and callout:
>
> verify = recipient/defer_ok/callout=10s,defer_ok
>
> Actually, I wonder why it is not
>
> verify = recipient,defer_ok/callout=10s,defer_ok
>
> or
>
> verify = recipient/defer_ok/callout=10s/defer_ok
>
> Perhaps someone else can answer that.

History. This was not designed as a complete syntax; it grew. Originally
we just had

    verify = recipient

Then I wanted to add some options, an I chose / as the separator

    verify = recipient/defer_ok
    verify = recipient/callout
    verify = recipient/callout/defer_ok

But callout needs an option to change the timeout, so we get

    verify = recipient/callout=10s

Then we need some more options for callout, so that's where the comma
came in...

I'm sure if all the requirements had been thought of at the start,
something different would have emerged. If only I were clairvoyant... :-)