Re: [Exim] Exim/MM/Openbsd: Which FM Do I RT?

Autor: Karl R. Balsmeier
A: Peter Galbavy
CC: karl, exim-users, james
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim/MM/Openbsd: Which FM Do I RT?
Hi Peter,

thanks for the interest, i'd love to solve this on my 3.4 system once and
for all.... It's all working execpt the remote mail part. I have two
nodes, one a mailman node with exim, and another is my main mail server,
running a different MTA using vmailmgr.

> Is there anything I said in my earlier reply that caused you to stop
> asking question of me or on the openbsd lists ? Don't think so, but like
> with all these things and "free" software, patience can wear thin.

1. Well, yes. I stopped submitting questions because the answers only
left me hanging... (I will join the openbsd ports list as you suggest,
i'd love to take it up again, my boss is somewhat disappointed i've not
got this operational.)

For example:

> Oh, the bit that may not be documented is to change the root
> crontab entries for local sendmail stuff...

With all due respect, can you be more specific? I know crontab -e, but
what line should be put/edited/removed? Is there a line in a document you
refer to?

2. This note from Nigel also worries me, this is where I count on you Peter!

Please note that I have never actually used OpenBSD so anything about it
is either:-
(a) Not written by me
(b) Not to be trusted
(c) Both of the above

3. I did the install via the ports. I let the system work as usual and
it closes out fine. I left out the pasted section of the notes in my lst
email to make it shorter, nothing out of the ordinary...

Right now the list of steps i've drawn from your kind response is:

1. Install the package, [why not the port, what's different, if anything?]

1a. It is strongly advised that you configure exim to use a UID and GID
other that 0/0.

You can do this by adding lines to the configure file like this:

        exim_user = "_exim"
        exim_group = "_exim"
        with uid/gid = "521"

->This user was not made by the build when I used the port.
->I made it manually with adduser and even used the 521 to stay as close
as possible.

->Is the proper approach/ is this what you did?
->Or is there a flag you supply when using the ports or the package?

#/usr/ports/mail/exim
# make --with exim_user="_exim" --with exim_group="_exim"

1b. You must remember to allow that user write permissions to
/var/spool/exim.

->#chown -R _exim /var/spool/exim [is the -R required, or just top dir?]

1c. If you want to do local deliveries as another user (e.g. if you allow
users to put procmail into their .forward file) make the exim binary
setuid root.

->Does this line apply to Mailman integration? [If so, then what is the
command line?]

2. Update /etc/mailer.conf to refer to exim.

->[can you can you advise correct syntax or submit an example file if the
below example is in error?]

#       $OpenBSD: mailer.conf,v 1.3 2000/04/06 18:24:19 millert Exp $
#
# Execute the "real" sendmail program, named /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
#
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/exim
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/exim
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/exim -bp
newaliases      /usr/bin/true
hoststat        /usr/bin/true
purgestat       /usr/bin/true

3. let the system start "sendmail" with flags "-bd -q30m" as root.
-> [rc.conf from default looks fine, is it, there are extra flags, keep or
delete them?]

# For normal use: "-L sm-mta -bd -q30m", and note there is a cron job
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -C/etc/mail/localhost.cf -bd -q30m"

4. change the root crontab entries for local sendmail stuff
-> [crontab -e, then type/edit/remove exactly what?]

->The following exists by default, what changes do I make to it?

# sendmail clientmqueue runner
*/30    *       *       *       *       /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue
-Ac -q

FILES:
/etc/exim/configure
/etc/rc.conf