Re: [Exim] Using IMAP protocol to SEND email ??

Autor: Marc Perkel
A: Patrick von der Hagen
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Using IMAP protocol to SEND email ??
Actually - yes - the idea is to be an alternative to SMTP AUTH.

The are a couple of downsides to SMTP AUTH. First - Port 25 blocking is
common - so you can't connect to something to auth in the first place.
And the other problem is that you have to authenticate separately to a
different process.

My idea of letting IMAP accept mail for sending you eliminates both
problems. You are already authenticated - and no one is blocking IMAP ports.

Here's the part that might be confusing to you. What I envision is that
after IMAP accepts the outgoing email it passes it on to the local SMTP
service and SMTP is actually used to send the message on to the world.
So IMAP is just acting as a front end to receive the message over an
alternate port with an existing authentication.

IMAP accepts the message and then hands it over to Exim for sending. So
what I'm proposing is extenting the IMAP protocol to accept outgoing
email and hand it off to the existing MTA.