Re: [Exim] Using IMAP protocol to SEND email ??

Autor: Patrick von der Hagen
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Using IMAP protocol to SEND email ??
Marc Perkel schrieb:
[...]
> The second metaphore that might be easier is to have a server side
> folder called "OUTGOING" which looks like any other server side folder
> but the MTA comes by and picks up the mail and sends it out.

AFAIK something like this is implemented by courier.

> The point is - with IMAP you are already connected to the server and
> authenticated to it. So - why not let it do the sending as well and
> eliminate the need for the separate step of connecting to an SMTP server
> and having to use a different method of authentication?
>
> Who likes this idea?

Well, users are connected to servers using IMAP, but servers still use
SMTP to communicate with each other. For the first problem
(user->server) a solution exists (SMTP-AUTH), for the second one no
IMAP-connections exist that might be used by your approach.

I'm not quite sure how to understand your email. Though you mention SPF
(which hints to server-to-server communication) but other parts read
like you try to replace SMTP-AUTH. One problem needs no solution, the
other won't be solved by your proposal, so I can sum up: I don't like
your idea at all.

--
CU,
    Patrick.