Re: [Exim] Delivery delays - queueing vs. immediate delivery…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Marcin Owsiany
CC: Exim users mailing list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Delivery delays - queueing vs. immediate delivery?
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> I hope that will improve the situation somewhat, but I feel that is just
> a workaround (60 large messages, each taking an hour to deliver, will
> still block the queue for an hour,

No, because other queue runners can run and deliver other messages,
though they might also pick up the big ones. Take a look at the
serialize_hosts option of the smtp transport. That can be used to
enforce a "one-at-a-time to this host" rule.

> I guess what I really want is to make queue runners treat the messages
> to host "X" in a different way (for example to try deliveries to "X"
> first).

There is no way to do this, because Exim was designed for an environment
where all hosts are equal, traffic is not too bursty, and deliveries are
pretty fast (i.e. my local environment, surprise, surprise).

You could try running different kinds of queue runner. As long as you
know the domains that route to host "X", you might be able to use -qR to
start queue runners that only handle messages to host "X" (or not to
host "X").

Philip