Re: [Exim] Should there be any reason for this?

Autor: Odhiambo G. Washington
A: O'Reilly, Stuart
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Should there be any reason for this?
* O'Reilly, Stuart <stuart.o'reilly@???> [20040423 02:49]: wrote:
> I currently run Exim 4.30 on my linux server and recently starting using
> SMTP Auth to allow fellow users to send email when on the road. Everything
> is fine apart from a delay when connecting to the mail server. One of the
> users reports this problem every time he sends mail thru my mail server.
> Both he and I are on DSL connections.
>
> To quote his words in a recent email:
>
>     The test still took a while... It says 'Connecting', 'Connected',
> waits for ages, 'Sending' and finally 'Sent'... :)   (I never even saw
>     'Authorising')

So, there are two entries in your exim configuration which read
something like below:

rfc1413_hosts                 = *
rfc1413_query_timeout         = 10s

Those are the values in my file, but there is actually no harm in
commenting them out and giving Exim daemon a HUP.
That is where my suspicion is.

> However, when retrieving mail, it is nearly instant for him and other users.

Well, pop3 and smtp are two different evils ;-)

> Both the POP & SMTP authentication use the same MySQL table.

Ok.

[Snipped the rest]

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post