Re: [Exim] Exim as front door to Exchange

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: chris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim as front door to Exchange
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 03:38:58PM -0400,
chris@??? <chris@???> is thought to have said:

> I think there is just something I need to do with the exim4.conf file. I am
> wondering if Exim 4.30 even has LDAP support.

Ah. Well it does if you build it in (BTW 4.32 is now the current stable
release of Exim).

> I really don't want to
> re-complie because I wonder if that will screw up other things.

If you haven't build Exim with the appropriate LDAP options turned on, then
you're never going to be able to use it to do LDAP lookups agains
Exchage/Active Directory.

Take a look at your Local/Makefile in your build tree and search for LDAP.
You'll need to uncomment the appropriate entries for your environment. For
me it's:

LOOKUP_LDAP=yes
LDAP_LIB_TYPE=OPENLDAP2
LOOKUP_LIBS=-lldap -llber

As long as you don't change any of the other settings in your Local/Makefile
it is unlikely you will break anything. However before typing 'make install'
you should test the new exim binary in the build-* directory by doing the
same set of -bh and -bt etc tests as you would test any other config
changes to make sure all of the types of mail you expect to handle are
handled appropriately.

> Maybe there's an easier way?

You're definitely going to have to rebuild exim to do LDAP lookups if you
didn't do that in the first place. Sorry.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality