RE: [Exim] Exim as front door to Exchange

Author: Dickenson, Steven
To: 'chris@chrisbaker.net', exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim as front door to Exchange
chris@??? wrote:
> What do I need to on the Exchange side to get it to accept mail from
> Exim? How do I check to see if mail is going to the Exim box? Will it
> just stay on the Exim box until it finds a place to go?

1) You shouldn't have to do anything special to Exchange for it to accept
mail from your Exim server. Assuming your Exim server is delivering mail to
your Exchange server destined for the domain your Exchange server is setup
to host, it should work just fine.

2) How do you mean, "going to the Exim box"? If you mean from the Exchange
box (if you're using your Exim server as an outgoing relay also), then you
need to configure a smart host in Exchange (at least in 5.5, might be called
something different in 2000+), and you need to configure Exim to recognize
the Exchange server as a relay_from_host. If you mean from the Internet to
the Exim box, you need to ensure that the Exim box is the lowest cost MX for
your domain, or that lowest-cost MX that's accessible on port 25.

3) Not sure how to answer that one. For mail coming into the Exim box from
the Internet, destined for your Exchange server, you need to configure a
manualroute router (before the primary SMTP router).

Give me some more details and I can help, or contact me off list. I run a
similar setup.

Steven
---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@???>