Re: [Exim] Maildir + NFS performance?

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: CJ Kucera, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Maildir + NFS performance?
CJ Kucera <exim@???> wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone's had any experience running a maildir system
> over NFS on a fairly large, fairly busy server. By "large" I
> mean a good 40 or 50 gigs or so, and by "busy" I mean well over
> a half a million messages per day. Basically, I just want to know
> if NFS is feasable for something like that, or if someone's tried
> that and watched their systems melt into goo.

We have a whole lot of NFS mounted NAS devices (maxtor boxes, linux
fileservers) for about 70 gigs of traffic, handling mail for ~ 30
million users (mail stored in hashed maildirs).

Go ahead .. it works quite well.

See if you can dig out Yann Golanski's paper on mail scaling using
exim - describes an nhash function for hashing maildirs that you'll find
useful.

    srs

--
linux@??? (Suresh Ramasubramanian)