Re: [Exim] Exim 4.31

Author: Franz Georg Köhler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.31
On So, Apr 18, 2004 at 05:38:42 +0000, Jonathan Telep <jtelep@???> wrote:
> I just upgraded to Exim 4.31 yesterday and have a few questions:
>
> Prior to this I was trying to get Exim 3.36-1 running without much success
> but I was at least able to get the server to respond differently when I made
> changes to the config file in /etc/exim/exim.conf. Since the upgrade it
> doesn't seem to matter what I change in the config file, the server acts the
> same. Does Exim4 use a different config file and, if so, where on the
> system is it stored? I've found a new file located in
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated which, I know isn't the one it's using
> but this one looks completely different from /etc/exim/exim.conf. Am I
> supposed to copy this into that directory and use it instead or is there a
> different config file elsewhere on the system?

The location of exim.conf is configured in Local/Makefile:

(from my Makefile)

# CONFIGURE_FILE defines where Exim's run time configuration file is to be
# found. It is the complete pathname for the file, not just a directory. The
# location of all other run time files and directories can be changed in the
# run time configuration file. There is a lot of variety in the choice of
# location in different OS, and in the preferences of different sysadmins. Some
# common locations are in /etc or /etc/mail or /usr/local/etc or
# /usr/local/etc/mail. Another possibility is to keep all the Exim files under
# a single directory such as /usr/exim. Whatever you choose, the installation
# script will try to make the directory and any superior directories if they
# don't exist. It will also install a default runtime configuration if this
# file does not exist.

CONFIGURE_FILE=/etc/exim/exim4.conf