Re: [Exim] Mail with Attachments get stuck

Author: Andrew Thomson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail with Attachments get stuck
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 01:13, Kevin Reed wrote:
> Philip Hazel said:
> > But it seems to be Exim, and Exim sends the response immediately after
> > writing that log line. So, what could be wrong?
> >
> > (1) The response is getting lost. Not too likely repeatedly.
> >
> > (2) The receiving Exim is doing a lot of processing between receiving
> > the "." line and finally accepting the message. It could be running a
> > DATA ACL or a local_scan() function. Is this the case? The message is 6M
> > long, so if some kind of scanning is going on, that could be the cause.
> >
> > My money is on (2). You could try increasing the timeouts on the sending
> > host.
>
> The receiving host should not be doing anything with the inbound, but I
> will check that.
>
> As for changing timeouts, are you talking about the
>
> -os <time>
>
> Setting? The default is 5 minutes and I'm sure it is not taking that long.

I'm just going to chime in here and say that I'm getting the same
problem. However I have seen it when a user is sending an attachment
just to another user in the office so the only mta is exim.

I'm also seeing a number of instances where emails are getting "stuck"
in users outbox's.

Tailing the reject log just reveals

"temporarily rejected after DATA"

I'm thinking the introduction of spamassassin into my setup is causing
my problems, mainly because I'm scanning every message and not just
messages > 200k.

Might have to look at changing that and we'll see how we go.

Cheers,

ajt.