Re: [Exim] expand fallback_hosts?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Dalbec
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] expand fallback_hosts?
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, John Dalbec wrote:

> Is there any drawback to setting hosts_randomize on the transport? I notice
> that the default configure file doesn't do so.

Well, it depends if you want your hosts randomized or not! :-) This
isn't something that is "obvious", IMO.

> I think it's strange that you can set hosts_randomize on the "manualroute"
> router but not on the "dnslookup" router, whereas you can set "fallback_hosts"
> on both.

You can't set hosts_randomize on the dnslookup router because the MX
values determine the order of the (main) hosts, and this should not be
messed with.

I think it would be confusing to allow hosts_randomize on a dnslookup
router, even if it only applied to fallback_hosts. People don't read
manuals... With hindsight, maybe I should have gone for
fallback_hosts_randomize, but I think it's too late now.