Re: [Exim] expand fallback_hosts?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Dalbec
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] expand fallback_hosts?
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, John Dalbec wrote:

> I would like to keep a single Exim configuration on all 4 hosts and predicate
> differences among them on the $primary_hostname. Can I force expansion of
> fallback_hosts with double quotes or ${expand...}? I guess I could just add a
> router if I have to.

(1) The fallback_hosts option is not expanded, either as a router option or
as a transport option.

However, the "transport" option *is* expanded, so you could use
different transports easily enough.

> The dnslookup router accepts "fallback_hosts" but not "hosts_randomize". Does
> the smtp transport automatically randomize fallback hosts when called from
> dnslookup?

(2) Yes, if you set hosts_randomize on the transport.

For both of the above answers, I had to read the documentation to remind
myself. It is all documented!

> I looked for the wishlist on the web site and in the exim-4.31/doc/ directory,
> but I couldn't find it. Is this on the wishlist?

(1) is answered by looking at the definitions of the fallback_hosts
options.

(2) is answered in the description of hosts_randomize for the smtp
transport.

The WishList is online at

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/exim4/WishList