Re: [Exim] "defer" being written to mainlog/rejectlog!

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Odhiambo G. Washington
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "defer" being written to mainlog/rejectlog!
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:

> I have a rule like this ..
>
> warn  set acl_m4      = ${readsocket{...
> defer domains         = +local_domains
>       !hosts          = +relay_from_hosts
>       condition       = ${if blah ...
>       message         = This message is annoying ...

> ..and I have the "message" being written to both my mainlog and
> rejectlog.

From the spec, section 38.11:

If "log_message" is not present and there is no underlying error message
(for example, from the failure of address verification), but "message" is
present, the "message" text is used for logging rejections. However, if any |
text for logging contains newlines, only the first line is logged. In the |
absence of both "log_message" and "message", a default built-in message is
used for logging rejections.

This includes temporary rejections caused by "defer".