Re: [Exim] not following spamd_address

Author: Michael Johnson
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] not following spamd_address
On Apr 5, 2004, at 3:37 PM, Tor Slettnes wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2004, at 12:19, Michael Johnson wrote:
>> I've set the part of my SA configuration for exim thusly:
>> spamd_address = ###.###.###.### 783
>
> Ok. That's an option used by the 'spam' condition in Exiscan-ACL.

I thought I had exiscan, but I may have screwed that up. It would
appear so since when I comment out the router lines, it doesn't work.

>> However, my spamcheck router is using the localhost (since it's set up
>> that way. Duh!)
>
> This has nothing to do with Exiscan-ACL, or setting up 'spamd_address'.

Different cat, similar spots?

>> How should I alter my spamcheck transport to look to
>> the remote host?
>
> Are you sure you want to run 'spamc' in a router?

Not at all. I didn't realize it was doing the things you listed.

> A far better method is to use Exiscan-ACL (or SA-Exim) to invoke
> SpamAssassin at SMTP time, so that you are able to reject the message
> right away if it is flagged as spam, rather than first accepting it:

This is what I want/need.

> - If it came via another MTA from a legitimate source, that other
> MTA (presumably the sender's) would be able to send a bounce message
> back to the sender (whose address is normally not forged).
>
> - If it came from spamware, no harm is done (spamware do not create
> bounce messages).

I'm guessing I need to recompile exim to do this.

>> Obviously (I think), the driver should not be pipe, rather remote.
>> Would I have to place something different where command is? Somehow
>> show the IP address even though I've given it earlier in the
>> spamd_address?
>
> If you still want to invoke SpamAssassin in a router, you can use:
>
>      /path/to/spamc -d spamd-server

> (e.g. "/usr/bin/spamc -d 192.168.1.5")

This is very helpful if I ever decide to run it that way. Thank you.
That's exactly the information I was looking for. Sadly, it's not what
I need given the information/advice in the rest of your post.

> Better, though, to use "spam = " conditions in your DATA ACL. If you
> happen to use Debian, get the "exim4-daemon-heavy" package, and edit:

I'm going to have to build it from scratch. I'm using OS X, and on
*this* box, I don't want to use the MySQL back-end like the one offered
on maxo.captainnet.net. That is unless you know of another site with
good instructions on setting up exim on OS X with exiscan. I'm looking
at the afp548.com site to see if it supports it, but I haven't been
able to tell yet.

-Michael

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your
smile can be the source of your joy.

                    --Thich Nhat Hanh