Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attem…

Author: Nigel Wade
To: Tony Finch
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attempts
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Nigel Wade wrote:
>
>>Ian A B Eiloart wrote:
>>
>>>But Baysian filters have their limitations. Researchers already have lists
>>>of words that these filters tend to like, and techniques for refining those
>>>lists on a per filter basis.
>>
>>Do you have any references for that?
>>The only reports I've read have been for a very specific set of words.
>

> One of the things that doesn't impress me about SpamBayes' and
> SpamAssassin's statistical filter (they use the same basic design) is that
> it works on the basis of presence of words, not frequency of words. This
> makes them relatively easy to fool. I don't know if DSPAM is cleverer or
> not -- it isn't usable here because it doesn't work with Cyrus.

I've seen no evidence yet of the Bayesian filter in SA being particularly
easy to fool. If it was I'd expect to be seing a lot more spam in my inbox.

Of the last 3500+ messages I've received I've had 4 false negatives and no
false positives.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555