Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attem…

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Greylisting + multiple MX hosts -> multiple attempts
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:19:17AM +0000, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:
> My view is that we need all the tools we can get, including greylisting,
> Bayesian filters, and so on.

I'm all for having a range of tools, but some are more useful than
others. Bayesian filters will not suddenly stop being useful.
Greylisting may well become essentially obsolete and adds a regrettable
amount of noise to the whole system. Your choice about whether or not
to use Bayesian filters only affects you. In contrast, implementing
greylisting adds noise to the systems of everybody who ever contacts
you.

Having worked quite hard to get our mail systems to the point where the
messages loitering in the queue are only those where we genuinely have a
problem, greylisting pisses me off.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin