Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Giolla Decair
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?
Just to add two penneth worth,

Tim Jackson may one day have said:
> Hi Tom, on Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:08:00 +0100 you wrote:

[snip]
> > I also think that 'HELO name == rDNS lookup' is a good idea, but reality
> > is in the way :)
> Well, even just coherent DNS (ignoring the HELO) would be a major
> improvement...I'd settle for that as a starting point.

Quite, and that's part of my problem with SPF, in thier own FAQ they
admit that there already exists an RFC that provides a similair
functionality /* SRV records */ but that these are "too hard" to use
so they're going to do soemthing quick and simple and worry about
getting it right later.

Which means that instead of one implementation phase they'll be two,
first the quick lets get everyone to use this phase and then the phase
where they get everyone to reimplement it when they get round to doing
it right. Given the number of old systems that are still being catered
for I expect this will mean you'll have to support the broken quick
version for a long time /* probably indefinately */ after they get
round to fixing it.

If people put as much effort into getting existing mechanisms adopted
and used properly, such as correct HELOs and such as mentioned above,
as they putting into creating tools for a hack they admit isn't the
correct thing to do it'd probably achieve a lot more whilst breaking
less.

However doing things correctly probably wouldn't be as much fun or
look as cool. There is a problem with mail, soemthing must be done,
SPF is something...

--
Giolla Decair
              "Missed it