Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Tor Slettnes
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: James P. Roberts
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error,
On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 09:25, James P. Roberts wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm going to repeat the fact that it would be impossible to use _any_
> > MTA other than the one provided by the ISP to send out your mail. I
> > could not, as I do now, relay mail from my (semi-)dynamic IP address at
> > home via my co-hosted machine at a different service provider.
> <snip>
>
> Can't let that statement go by without a comment. It is not "impossible." I
> set up my Exim server to accept incoming smtp from customers on alternate
> ports (submission, for example). (Of course, the customers must
> authenticate). This was set up SPECIFICALLY to get around the problem of
> customers with home internet access with an ISP that hijacks port 25.

Yeah, I meant impossible as in "difficult". (Think: grandma).

When at work (where most outbound services are unavailable), I actually
do something different myself: I use "vtun" to provide a tunnel between
my (Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris) machines to my server. That way, I can
access any service, including SMTP.

-tor