Re: [Exim] RBL List question

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] RBL List question
On 12 Mar 2004 at 9:04, Tor Slettnes wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] RBL List question":

| On Mar 9, 2004, at 22:31, Mike Zanker wrote:
| > Here's what I use:
| >
| > list.dsbl.org
| > sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
| > dynablock.njabl.org

| 'Course, with 'spamhaus.org' (the SBL part) you'll get some false
| positives/collateral damage.

That's possible with any RBL. It's a good idea IMO to give any RBL a
"trial marriage" by routing its hits to a quarrantine folder for
review for a while (weeks, at least) before using it for outright
rejection. That gives you a chance to see what the false positive
rate is, and to add them to a whitelist to reduce it to an
"acceptable" level.

| Not as bad as SPEWS, but not something you'd want for your business.

FWLIW, I promoted spamhaus to rejection status with an FP rate (after
an initial whitelisting period) of about 1/month. Given that the
rejection message specifies how to bypass the block, that was
acceptable for us.

We also reject based on list.dsbl.org and cbl.abuseat.org (neither of
which had *any* FPs in the monitoring period). We also quarrantine
based on dnsbl.sorbs.net, dnsbl.njabl.org, bl.spamcop.net, and
relays.ordb.org.

- Fred