Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays

Autor: Chris Edwards
A: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

| On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 13:05, Chris Edwards wrote:
| > Note that when I say its only bad buys that get throttled, I include
| > certain abusive list managers. There are some subscribed-for lists that
| > try to send the same item to hundreds of students, not only as separate
| > messages, but as separate connections, which they attempt almost
| > simultaneously. This is DoS, and those who inflict it need to be
| > throttled - for the benefit of all the other mail activity happening at
| > the time.

| You've run into qmail, then?

Yup - and some versions of lyris.

Most VERP lists seem to either re-use connections, or to trickle in
suffiently slowly there is not particular problem.

I honestly don't understand how legit list sites can seriously expect us
to grant them a couple of hundred simultaneous processes/SMTP slots.

( I expect most probably don't know or care. )

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service