Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays

Autor: Dennis Davis
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays
>Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Bagle, unqualified HELO, time delays
>From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???>
>To: Exim users list <exim-users@???>
>Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 13:31:36 +0000
>
>On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 13:05, Chris Edwards wrote:
>> Note that when I say its only bad buys that get throttled, I include
>> certain abusive list managers. There are some subscribed-for lists that
>> try to send the same item to hundreds of students, not only as separate
>> messages, but as separate connections, which they attempt almost
>> simultaneously. This is DoS, and those who inflict it need to be
>> throttled - for the benefit of all the other mail activity happening at
>> the time.
>
>You've run into qmail, then?

I suspect most of us have. The VERP feature means that messages
*have* to be sent separately. But I still can't see why it
can't send multiple messages down a single connection instead of
attempting to flood MXs with multiple connections. Not that I care.
Setting:

smtp_accept_max_per_host = 5

on our MXs (same value as Chris uses) means I don't have to care.