Re: [Exim] helo: ip number instead of hostname?

Author: Ferenc Engard
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] helo: ip number instead of hostname?
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

>Ferenc Engard [3/1/2004 10:31 PM] :
>> There are some hosts which check HELO addresses, and as my exim
>> is on a dial-up server, my primary hostname (for my internal use) is
>> rejected. I suspect that my outgoing interface's IP address would be
>> good, but I do not know how to pass it to the helo_data option.
>
>More likely they block you because you are on a dialup.
>
>http://www.hserus.net/exim.html to route your mail through a smarthost
>should help you.

I know it, but I use this config since 3-4 years, and I do not like
smarthosts. One more place to go something wrong. :(

Anyway, I tried it out (I wrote the IP number manually), and it still
do not work; I suspect it verifies the host accepts smpt connections.
:(( So, I think I do not have a choice... :(

>> exim 3.36.
>
>Upgrade. This smells strongly of a debian install, so maybe you can
>just download Andreas Metzler's backported version.

It is a debian unstable, but I am happy with it. Also, I have made a
custom LDAP-based virtual mailbox system on my not-dialup machine, so,
it would be difficult to upgrade both machines...

Thanks,
Ferenc