Re: [Exim] Sender verification via callout

Author: Russell King
To: Zharovtsev, Anton
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Sender verification via callout
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:17:35PM +0600, Zharovtsev, Anton wrote:
> I have question about callout.

This exact question has been asked before here.

http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040223/067090.html

> Some people configure their MTA to discard MAIL FROM:<>
> They does not want to know about RFC requirement. I think they are wrong.

They are wrong. As I've stated here before, I strongly advise people
to refuse to accept mail from people blocking <>. The reason is that
if you are unable to deliver their message, you have no way to tell
the sender that you were unable to deliver.

However, if you don't accept the message in the first place, at least
the user stands a chance of receiving a bounce message back explaining
that his ISP sucks, and that he should find a more responsible ISP.
Hopefully, with enough people doing this to these ISPs, customer
pressure will eventually cause the ISP to eventually suck less.

(Maybe the exim sender verification failure message should state
something like this in teh case of MAIL FROM:<> failing? 8))

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/