Re: [Exim] ACL config to reject mail from non standard DNS m…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ACL config to reject mail from non standard DNS mailers
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 16:39, mark david mcCreary wrote:
> Would somebody be willing to share their Exim configuration file ACL
> section of workable solutions to this problem ?

There are no workable solutions of the type you have suggested.

Think of a large ISP which has a few hundred virtual ISPs (VISPs), with
a few million users, sending from a few hundred legitmate base domain
names (ie in the UK energis, has 10s of virtual ISPs including
freeserve, which alone has email addresses ending in .freeserve.co.uk,
fsmail.co.uk, fsbusiness.co.uk....). They may have a (very) small
number of outgoing mail machines. (In the case of energis it used to be
6, and the HELO name and DNS of the outgoing boxes ended planet.net.uk).

HELO is a complete irrelevance to mail routing. The only exceptions is
when someone is pretending to be you in which case you drop them.

    Nigel.