Re: [Exim] CRM114 & DSPAM

Author: Gavin Hamill
To: Michael Johnson
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRM114 & DSPAM
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:42:10PM -0500, Michael Johnson wrote:
> I've been using spamassassin for a while now, and am fairly happy with
> it. However, I just read an article on /. about two other newer
> spamkillers, CRM114 and DSPAM.
>
> Has anyone here used either of these? How does it run? Daemonized
> like spamd? How to you use set up the exim configuration?

I can't speak for exim config because I'm only just learning exim basics
now, but I've used crm114 very successfully for months with qmail.

'CRM114' isn't an "anti-spam" package. It's a language of its own
for which the most popularised program is 'mailfilter' being used
to classify between spam and non-spam. Really what CRM114 does is analyse
streams of text and classify between them, so it's quite generic.

It doesn't run as a daemon, but the CPU usage isn't high - certainly no
higher than SpamAssassin, given that both are interpreted languages.

The typical way to install it is via procmail, so I expect exim's
config to be very straightforward in this respect.

False positives/negatives are few and far between - I maybe get one missed
a week, if that. My advice though, would be not to try and install it
on a site-wide basis, since each person will get a very different mailflow.

Cheers,
Gavin.