Re: [Exim] pwcheck OR saslauthd - how?

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] pwcheck OR saslauthd - how?
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:14:47AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2004-02-24 "Odhiambo G. Washington" <wash@???> wrote:
> > Are there any detailed howtos on doing asmtp using saslauthd out there?
> Why do you need a howto for that? ;-)
> Install sasl, add the user exim is running as (exim -bP exim_user)
> to the group (sasl?) that is allowed to access saslauthd-socket
> (/var/run/saslauthd/mux?) and use this authenticator

Note that this (a) requires exim to be properly using initgroups() for its
routing (not sure if it does by default), and (b) won't work on anything
but plaintext authentication.

I have a patch to properly use libsasl2 with Exim, but it's currently somewhat
of a work in progress as I found that I didn't quite understand exim's memory
handling as much as I'd first thought.

I believe it's OK now, however (I only care about releasing my allocations in
the initialiser, which is a part of the long-lived process), so if you want
to try it, it's available at:
http://colon.colondot.net/~mbm/ald-stuff/exim.cyrussasl.patch
with MD5 sum:
88a4751b754228464306bb60a86d4a87

I'll keep the list up-to-date if I find more problems there.

MBM