Re: [Exim] CRM114 & DSPAM

Author: Richard Welty
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] CRM114 & DSPAM
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:42:10 -0500 Michael Johnson <kaiser@???> wrote:
> Has anyone here used either of these? How does it run? Daemonized
> like spamd? How to you use set up the exim configuration?

although CRM114 was written by an old friend from RPI, i have to admit
i don't know much about it yet. i only realized that bill wrote it
a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to learn anything about it.

on the other hand, i'm working with Jonathan Z (author of dspam),
installing it at a client site with exim 4.

it doesn't have a daemon mode, and doesn't bolt into exiscan at the
present time. we're basically piping inbound mail to dspam, and
then reinjecting it with a spam-scanned tag so that it will then be
delivered.

it has the unique feature that dspam data can be sent to a central
site, which will detect spam source IPs and if enough of the
dspam feed sites show the same IP, they'll get added to a dnsbl.
i've not yet experimented with this, but it looks pretty interesting.
it appears that it avoids the various statistical flaws of the spamcop
bl.

the code is a work in progress; jonathan z is a very busy and
imaginative guy, and he's adding new stuff all the time. me, i'll
settle for finishing the postgresql drivers (currently there are
berkeley db, mysql, and obstacle, er, oracle drivers. i'm about
2/3s of the way through producing a set of postgresql drivers.)

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???