Re: [Exim] Re:TNEF Problems

Author: Bob Amen
To: Chris Edwards
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re:TNEF Problems
Chris Edwards wrote:

> Should I be testing with tnef-encoded malware ?

    I would say yes. We're using the Email Sanitizer ( I'm working on
exiscan w/clamAV). Here's what the author (John Hardin) says about TNEF
attachments:

"Microsoft TNEF attachments are a bundle of attachments in a Microsoft
proprietary format and as such can not be scanned or sanitized if they
contain viruses."

    The warning message contains this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q241/5/38.ASP

    There was another link (no longer valid) in which Microsoft recommended
that TNEF attachments NOT be sent over the Internet. They are only valid
when both mail servers are MS Exchange servers. At least that's what
they said a year ago.

Cheers,
Bob
--