Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication

Author: Ralph Ballier
To: Andreas Metzler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> On 2004-02-11 Ralph Ballier <ballier@???> wrote:
> > I find in the documentation under chapter 33. SMTP authentication
> > this:
>
> > "...SMTP authentication is not of relevance to the transfer of mail
> > between servers that have no managerial connection with each other.
> > ..."
>
> > What does this mean?
> [...]
>
> How does SMTP authentication work? server and client share a secret
> (username and passwd). And how did both of them get to know it? By
> "managerial connection", e.g. an ISP provides the server as smarthost
> and hands out username/passwd pairs to its customers.

yes, this is exactly what I have set up between Linux client in my school,
using a dial up connection (T-Online as access provider only) and my server/smarthost,
named "schule.de", using a fixed IP number. Now authentication (username and password) is necessary
for deliver mails from client to server. But I wonder, why my server can
get mails from many other internet hosts whithout authentication. Note, I manager the
server "schule.de" too.

        Verein zur Foerderung eines Offenen Deutschen Schul-Netzes e.V.
            Ralph Ballier, Vorstand ODS-Verein e.V., 12357 Berlin
   E-Mail: ballier@???, Tel.: 030 - 66 09 81 16, Fax: 030 - 66 09 81 25
                            http://www.schule.de