Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication
On 2004-02-11 Ralph Ballier <ballier@???> wrote:
> I find in the documentation under chapter 33. SMTP authentication
> this:

> "...SMTP authentication is not of relevance to the transfer of mail
> between servers that have no managerial connection with each other.
> ..."

> What does this mean?

[...]

How does SMTP authentication work? server and client share a secret
(username and passwd). And how did both of them get to know it? By
"managerial connection", e.g. an ISP provides the server as smarthost
and hands out username/passwd pairs to its customers.

SMTP authentication requires manual setup on both sides and a
communication (delivering the passwords) on a different channel than
just the two smtp server talking to each other.
               cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"