Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs? {Warni…

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?
Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs? {Warning: possible flame war inducing content}
On 5 Feb 2004 at 13:41, Juha Saarinen wrote about
    "[Exim] Require A records for host n":

| Greg's mailer is the only one that I've seen that behaves like this.
| Surely insisting on hosts in HELOs having A records would lead to masses
| of bounces? Most HELOs I see aren't even FQDNs.

Masses of rejections, not bounces. Indeed. If you had made it past
that test, the next test insists that the connecting IP have a PTR
record with a name matching the HELO name, which is also contrary to
RFC. IIRC, mail to postmaster is also refused on the same basis.

I'm of the opinion that mail administrators are entitled to implement
whatever policy they like for their own domains. Greg apparently has
very strong beliefs about what constitutes proper DNS, and isn't
interested in receiving email from anyone who doesn't conform to
them. That's his perogative.

- Fred