Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?

Author: The very stupidly configure Exim User's Mailing List
To: Fred Viles
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?
[ On Wednesday, February 4, 2004 at 17:19:22 (-0800), Fred Viles wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs? {Warning: possible flame war inducing content}
>
> Masses of rejections, not bounces. Indeed. If you had made it past
> that test, the next test insists that the connecting IP have a PTR
> record with a name matching the HELO name

That's not true at all.

What I require is that IFF you have reverse DNS then it must be correct
and complete, else I may believe you're spoofing your hostname.

Broken reverse DNS is worse than no reverse DNS at all.

Use the latest version of host with '-v -A' to verify your hostnames and
reverse DNS are orthogonal and complete.

> which is also contrary to
> RFC.

Actually it's required by the RFCs and BCPs.

> IIRC, mail to postmaster is also refused on the same basis.

Of course -- this is a "lame client" reject, not a recipient address
reject.

> I'm of the opinion that mail administrators are entitled to implement
> whatever policy they like for their own domains. Greg apparently has
> very strong beliefs about what constitutes proper DNS, and isn't
> interested in receiving email from anyone who doesn't conform to
> them. That's his perogative.

On that we agree 100%! :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods