Re: [Exim] ClamAV and Exim4

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ClamAV and Exim4
Hi Jim, on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:32:38 -0500 you wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied, but this document requires Exiscan. The
> Debian Exiscan package wants to install maildrop, which I am trying to
> avoid.

I've no idea about how the Debian stuff is packaged, but as far as I'm
aware, Exiscan shouldn't really require anything else. If you compile from
source, you'll find it's a fairly clean patch directly against Exim and
doesn't need any extra stuff in itself. Nevertheless, perhaps Andreas can
offer advice.

> I have SpamAssassin running just by setting up a transport to invoke the
> spamc program. Can Clam AV be used in a similar way?

I haven't done it, but I imagine so (possibly with a bit of fiddling) -
you could call the command line scanner (clamdscan) which is part of
ClamAV. However, as with SpamAssassin, this is generally a less-than-ideal
solution (well, if you can call any "solution" to junk mail ideal) - fine
if you're happy devnull'ing the junk or saving it in a separate folder,
but not if you want to reject it. Also, almost certainly less efficient,
though this may not be a big problem if you're not handling huge
quantities of mail.

Tim