RE: [Exim] Problem with routing messages

Author: Eli
To: 'Stephen Gran', 'exim-users'
Subject: RE: [Exim] Problem with routing messages
> accept domains = +local_domains
>         endpass
>         message = unknown user
>         verify = recipient

>  accept domains = +relay_to_domains
>         endpass
>         message = unrouteable address
>         verify = recipient

With statements like that, the order doesn't matter since if it's not a
local domain, it just passes to check if it's a relay domain. I was
thinking that maybe you had an unconditional recipient verification
statement for everything before an accept for +relay_to_domains.

It seems that your problem is more your recipient verification. If you *do*
want to verify the recipient, then you must make sure that there is a router
which can properly verify that account. If you do and its just that
sometimes it isn't up to date, or that it's unable to verify from time to
time, then your problem may in fact be that ANOTHER router is actually
verifying the address when it shouldn't be.

You should make sure that all your routers have a "domains = " condition to
them so that they only verify accounts they know about. It seems (now with
more info) that you have a router that is verifying based on just the local
part, ignoring the domain portion completely. Fix that router up (you can
run exim -bd -d and then send an email to steve@??? and see which router
validates the address) and your problem should go away :)

Eli.