Re: [Exim] Problem with routing messages

Author: Stephen Gran
To: 'exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problem with routing messages
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:46:15AM -0500, Eli said:
> Your problem with failing to relay for foo.com and instead assume it's local
> sounds not to be a problem with your relay router, but with your ACL
> statements.
>
> It sounds as if you have a verify = recipient BEFORE you accept for
> +relay_to_domains... Unless I've misinterpreted your problem :)

In fact, I do - smart man.  What I have is this:
  accept domains = +local_domains
         endpass
         message = unknown user
         verify = recipient

  accept domains = +relay_to_domains
         endpass
         message = unrouteable address
         verify = recipient

Verifying recipient is trivial for the relay_to_domains, so I don't need
to do callouts. Should I switch the ordering of these statements, do
you think? That seems the easiest.

> Also, I don't believe you should be using "verify_recipient" (or any
> verification for that matter) for your relay router - it *should* be up to
> that remote final destination to dictate which accounts are valid and which
> are not.

Ordinarily, full ACK. On this box, I don't have the fastest link speed,
however, and my goal is to weed unnecessary bandwidth by not accepting
messages unnecessarily. The domains I am backup MX'ing are all small,
vanity-type domains with a stable userbase.

Thanks,

|  Stephen Gran                  | If entropy is increasing, where is it   |
|  steve@???             | coming from?                            |