RE: [Exim] Problem with routing messages

Author: David Woodhouse
To: eli-list
CC: 'Stephen Gran', 'exim-users'
Subject: RE: [Exim] Problem with routing messages
On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 01:46 -0500, Eli wrote:
> Also, I don't believe you should be using "verify_recipient" (or any
> verification for that matter) for your relay router - it *should* be up to
> that remote final destination to dictate which accounts are valid and which
> are not.

For UUCP I'm inclined to agree -- you run the risk of the list of local
parts getting out of sync, and bouncing mail for what should now be a
valid user.

With the amount of crap being sent to $random_local_part@$domain,
however, it _is_ useful to do some kind of verification of recipient
addresses. Especially since people seem to target MX backups.

For traditional MX backup purposes, I find it quite useful to do
recipient verification with callouts -- but obviously you have to do
these with defer_ok, if you're going to actually accept mail while the
primary is down.

--
dwmw2