Re: [Exim] Missing headers bypassing spamassassin

Author: Nigel Wade
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Missing headers bypassing spamassassin
Clive McDowell wrote:
> Folks,
>
> we're running exim 4.20 on our mailhubs with rbl, exiscan and
> spamassassin. This all works very well but I've received 3 messages over
> the last week that haven't been tagged with a spam score by
> spamassassin. On further investigation these messages had some of the
> expected rfc822 headers missing. One was missing Date, Subject, To and
> message-ID the others just Date and Message-ID. Is there any reason why
> exim hasn't at least added Date and Message-IDs and is the fact that
> some of these headers are missing causing the messages to by-pass spamd?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clive McDowell

Are you sure that it's due to the missing headers? I'd be surprised, as
Chris Edwards points out SA increases the spaminess if certain headers are
missing, Date: is one of them e.g.:
         1.9 DATE_MISSING           Missing Date: header

It might be due to load on your mail server. If you are using spamc/spamd
then spamd has a limit on the number of simultaneous connections it will
handle. If this limit is reached spamc cannot connect to it and will pass on
the message without being scanned.

E-mail :    nmw@???
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555