Re: [Exim] Missing headers bypassing spamassassin

Author: Chris Edwards
To: Clive McDowell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Missing headers bypassing spamassassin
| we're running exim 4.20 on our mailhubs with rbl, exiscan and
| spamassassin. This all works very well but I've received 3 messages over
| the last week that haven't been tagged with a spam score by
| spamassassin. On further investigation these messages had some of the
| expected rfc822 headers missing. One was missing Date, Subject, To and
| message-ID the others just Date and Message-ID. Is there any reason why
| exim hasn't at least added Date and Message-IDs and is the fact that
| some of these headers are missing causing the messages to by-pass spamd?

Odd - ours is quite happy to scan messages without these headers.

( just tried )

In fact extra points may be awarded for some of these missings.

Can you find the incident(s) in spamd syslog ? FWIW my test logged:

Jan 23 12:37:08 palin.cent.gla.ac.uk spamd[21294]: checking message
<E1Ak0Yc-0005Wv-Bn@???> for nobody:72.

Jan 23 12:37:08 palin.cent.gla.ac.uk spamd[21294]: identified spam
(17.3/5.0) for nobody:72 in 0.1 seconds, 412 bytes.

in other words, the Message-ID: logged is from the header added by Exim.

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service