Re: [Exim] Different arguments in favor of Webmin

Author: Rossz Vamos-Wentworth
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Different arguments in favor of Webmin
A few years ago I worked for Sendmail, Inc. The company's primary
product is an excellent GUI for configuring and managing sendmail. I
knew absolutely nothing about configuring sendmail. Yet with this GUI,
I was able to deploy my first mail server that was efficient, safe, and
secure. About a year after I was laid off from my job (along with 40%
of their employees) I switched to Exim. I would have stayed with
sendmail if I still had access to their wonderful GUI, but the version I
had was getting old.

Exim is a thousand times easier to configure than the "raw" version of
sendmail, but it could still benefit from a GUI. I haven't tackled this
because there are important features I have not yet used. For example,
other than configuring a smarthost, I have not dealt with setting up
relays of any sort.

I have fooled around with Webmin a few times, but don't particularly
like it. Personally, I would prefer something that was independent of
Webmin. A web interface written in PHP or Perl would work very well.
For security, using an SSL connection is urged.

BTW, Sendmail, Inc was the last permanent job I held. I could sure use a
job.

--
Rossz