RE: [Exim] Whitelisting in Exim?

Author: Eli
To: InspiredCode, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Whitelisting in Exim?
> # ACCEPT MAIL FOR InspiredCode.net
> accept  domains = InspiredCode.net
>      local_parts = InspiredCode : JoeSmith : JimBob

I assume Kevin meant for this to be in the RCPT ACL. If that is the case,
and there ARE NO other ACLs (such as a DATA ACL) in place which block email,
then yes, this will allow inspiredcode@???,
joesmith@???, and jimbob@??? to receive email from
*ANYONE* and have exim accept it. That ACL code must be inserted before any
spamcop "deny" rules, otherwise it will be useless (which is why he said to
put it near the top).

If the spamcop checks are done (or anything else that could block email) in
the DATA ACL, or any ACL that comes after RCPT, then care must be taken to
make sure that it does not block the email at that stage (an accept in one
ACL doesn't mean a final acceptance of the message, it just means it passed
that section of the mail transaction with the server).

Also, your mail provider may not want to insert such a user-custom exception
to their spam processing rules (I know I wouldn't want to). I would first
suggest trying to show them that denying email via spamcop is not a "good
thing" (tm). Spamcop is one of the slightly better blacklists since its
code for automatic updating actually works, but it does have a good tendency
to block big ranges based on one single users action.

If your mail provider did changes to exim to block email in spamcop rather
than just tag it, all they have to do is change a "block" (or deny or
discard or whatever) to a "warn" with a message.

It's always best to let the end users filter the email - "If your postman
threw away mail that was addressed to you that he thought was junk, how much
would you really trust him to not throw out something important?" :)

Eli.