Re: [Exim] calculating system requirements

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] calculating system requirements
> As Wakko states below, most MTA servers, even with some additional duties,

=)

> will usually do the job just fine. If you are looking at purchasing a
> 'new' system then going to your favorite computer provider and asking for
> the $500.00 special should be more than enough. Most of the load for any
> of our mail related servers is in the 'webmail' applications, not the
> MTA/DB server(s). One note, The more memory you have, the better :)

For a small business looking to save any way they can, that's fine. I
believe you can get an HP compaq d220 pretty cheap (Work bought me one for
my desk. They said the 'linux' one was pretty cheap). I did put linux on
it just to play with it. All hardware I tested worked (it would work quite
well as a email server)

Now some businesses want real servers (hmm, define real server to me =) from
say dell, gateway, hp, etc and are often victom of marketing bullshit.

Having redundancy is always a good idea, but it does cost. IDE raid is
pretty cheap. I noticed dell has some cheap celeron/ide servers.

Ok, now I've gone off topic for the list. =)