Re: [Exim] calculating system requirements

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] calculating system requirements
As Wakko states below, most MTA servers, even with some additional duties,
can be run on fairly small servers. What I always figure out is how many
messages/day come through the current system (average and max), then
calculate how many messages I need to process in a minute to deliver that
email (then extrapolate what a 'best guess' would be for new hardware, as
this is what the 'current' system already supports). If the server is
running *nix, an MTA (w/ or w/out virus/spam scanning), caching DNS,
pop/imap, and possibly a webserver, with 2000 users or less, an old pentium
will usually do the job just fine. If you are looking at purchasing a
'new' system then going to your favorite computer provider and asking for
the $500.00 special should be more than enough. Most of the load for any
of our mail related servers is in the 'webmail' applications, not the
MTA/DB server(s). One note, The more memory you have, the better :)

--EAL--