Re: [Exim] calculating system requirements

Author: Lars Mainka
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] calculating system requirements
>I couldn't find anything on this. How do you calculate the system
>requirements for both pop and imap mail with a MySQL or PostgreSQL
>authentication backend (on the same computer)?
>
>For example, if you have a small office with 50 persons and need to
>set up an imap mail system, how fast and how much memory and still
>get reasonable performance. The same system would be running exim,
>the imap softare, mysql and other support programs. Toss in needing
>apache to run a webmail system such as IlohaMail, how does this
>affect the system requirements?
>
>This is assuming an ipx86 Linux system.

Hi Rossz,

we are using exim 4.24 (FreeBSD) on a couple of servers. Two of the system
matches your requirements, exim with mysql, pop and imap with courier-imap
and each round about 50 users. The older system is a Pentium II 450 with 256
MB, SCSI 10 GB and works fine for us. The other system is a Pentium IV 2,6
with 1 GB and 80GB UDMA HDD. Both systems works fast enough for us. There is
not really a time difference getting and sending mail on the systems. The
Pentium IV system is faster using courier-imap.

We only use virtual users for round about 20 different domains.