Re: [Exim] ACL verify=sender

Author: Tony Finch
To: tsh
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ACL verify=sender
"T. Horsnell (tsh),F46,2219,01223247239" <tsh@???> wrote:

>All mail to/from our site is handled by our mail hub,
>which in turn is fed by a UCam upstream relay (smarthost).
>External SMTP traffic is only permitted between
>our hub and his upstream relay.
>
>How does this setup affect the ACL 'verify=sender' option?

It doesn't, since the hub is applying the same check at the moment. We
plan to add callout verification soon, though.

>The docs say that the sender address is passed thro' the
>routers to determine its validity, but what happens
>here, since the routers are arranged to forward all
>offsite mail to the smarthost?

For non-local domains it just checks that the domain exists in the DNS.

>We have started to receive spam where the key message
>(usually a hotlink) is embedded in piles of random words,
>which then get through our statistical spam scanner
>(bogofilter). However, the sender is also a forged
>randomly-generated user at a legit site,
>(e.g.aaxxgtrr@???) so I would like to use the ACL
>to reject these.

Callout verification will help with this. However because you are behind a
hub any SMTP-time checks that you perform will cause the message to bounce
(rather than be rejected) which is not so good. In this case it'll cause
a double bounce so the message will freeze on ppsw which is a bit ugly
but not a serious problem. SMTP-time content checks cause more difficulties.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
ARDNAMURCHAN POINT TO CAPE WRATH INCLUDING THE OUTER HEBRIDES: SOUTH OR